View Single Post
Old 09-14-15, 11:47 AM   #1757
paramax55
Lurking Renovator

Thanks, AC hacker, for starting this thread! I didn't find it looking for GSHP, but in looking for information on running r290. I have an old r22 unit that I am going to be installing as a fresh install to an old house that never had AC. I've done two installs before (one used and one brand new) but I only knew enough to make them work correctly and I've been happy with the fact they seemed to do what they were supposed to. After reading this thread (it took several weeks), I've decided to replace the evaporator coil and change from cap tube to TXV before I do this next install.

Since you mentioned that people all over the world read this, I thought it might be good to list some of the unique conditions we face in the bottom half of our state... Selling AC to Floridians is like selling heaters to Eskimos. The AC guys love to tell you that your unit is shot and that you need to buy a new one (that they will happily sell you). I've always contended that an AC is just a couple of boxes that hold two radiators, a compressor, a couple of fans and some sort of expansion device. AC companies are very happy to over-charge and people seem all too happy to blindly pay it. Anyway, back to Florida... We have a lot of heat and a LOT of humidity. About the dumbest thing that's been introduced to Florida is the Energy Recovery Ventilator. The AC just simply can't keep up with the introduction of humidity into the conditioned space. We also don't have anything like the winter that the rest of the country has. In fact, most of the country would say that we have two seasons - spring and summer. I can't remember the last time we ran the heat during the day. If it dips below 40 at night, it's a big news story. So, anyway, we are completely AC down here.

That brings me to another thought... One of my projects is a rebuild of a house on a river down here. I've always looked at that river and thought "there's got to be a good way to use all that (relatively cool) water for something good..." Now I know about Pond (or river) Source Geothermal (closed loop). And that made me think of a subject that hasn't really been covered heavily - that is the subject of pumps...

I remember reading about the Taco pump and another brand, but I've dealt with all types of pumps before - diaphragm pumps, centrifugal pumps, impeller pumps, vane pumps, gear pumps to name a few... We use centrifugal pumps in pools down here, but they suck a lot of power. I'm also thinking you need different pumps for the heat exchanger vs the ground loop? You might have 1" - 1 1/2" HDPE for your loop, but 1/2" openings in your heat exchanger? I'm just looking at pictures but, if that's true, the pumping requirements for the two should be very different.

What are the generic details on the different types of pumps and what types seem to work with the least energy consumption?
paramax55 is offline   Reply With Quote