Thread: Just Wondering?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-11, 09:40 PM   #5
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

There are a lot of inverters that stack, giving you 220v, they of course need to talk to each other so that they can run in sync, but they often do that via a small communications cable, there are also a few out there that are designed for 220v AC output.
My parents have the grid turned off most days, using solar and wind, running an inverter that is about 12 years old, while I was out there today I did some welding, yesterday I used the table saw and drill press in the wood working shop, the shop also has three lathes, a milling machine, band saw and chop saw, all running off the inverter that is connected to the battery bank, charged by solar and wind.
I don't remember exactly how large their battery bank is but I'm thinking it was 24v and 1000 amp hours, not sized for spending many 8 hour days in the shop, but it does handle me driving my electric car over there, plugging it in and spending a few hours on a project without putting a huge dent in their storage, partly because a 3hp motor is only drawing even close to 20 amps for a second when it starts up and again right before the breaker trips if you manage to stall it, the rest of the time it's energy use is based off of how large of a load it is under.

Last edited by Ryland; 09-21-11 at 09:42 PM..
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote