View Single Post
Old 03-06-15, 05:34 PM   #103
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
"Seat of the pants" is great, especially if you have a very large backlog of experience.

And an intuitive, unplanned approach is also great, of you are dealing with low-expense parts or processes.

But for a major project like a Ground Source Heat Pump, 'cut & fit' or 'try a bit of this', and if it doesn't work, 'try a bit if that'... can quickly add up to many 10s of thousands of dollars.

That's where careful research and planning and design come in.

And randen is no ordinary DIY guy, he is a highly skilled machinist, who has been successfully running his own CNC business for some years, I don't know how many.

He already had a GSHP installed in his home, so he was no stranger to what it was, and how it worked.

And, as I recall, he asked around his locale to see what other people were doing there.

I would hardly call the many years of skill that randen brought to his project, and how he approached it, "seat of the pants DIY".

I guess the reason I'm saying all this is that you may just be responding to OldWiz, but over time, many hundreds of other people will also read this, and they could be misled by what you have written.

-AC
Haha, AC, I know Randen quite well and, you are right, it was not exactly seat of the pants but it was close. He is a quick study on refrigeration has a good grasp of the fundamentals.

We've talked about many a system over beers.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote