View Single Post
Old 02-02-09, 09:35 AM   #3
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I'm actually considering doing a 1/4 scale output version of this design. I thought about buying premade blades like in my other windpower post, but am not confident that they will perform well on a fixed speed turbine. Non of the sellers could provide the specs I needed to determine this. The prairie turbine guys have their rotor figured out for this application . The whole set-up can be scaled down, but there will be some trial and error in getting the blades properly scaled down for my generator. This extends to the gearbox ratio too. If I actually do this project i may use a temporary chain and sprocket type transmission until I get things right so I can more easily try different ratios.

I already have the motor generator and I've found a source for the pipe near my work for the tower. I can get a 42ft long pieces of 3" sch 40 steel, if I can figure out how to get it home. They will cut it for free so I can handle them, but it would be nice to keep it a single piece (although it will weigh over 320lbs).

I will need at least a bigger welder for construction, and a power planer for blade shaping too.

This is looking like the best DIY way for me. I predict, either way, there is some kind of wind turbine project in my near future .
jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote