View Single Post
Old 05-30-11, 08:34 AM   #30
mejunkhound
Apprentice EcoRenovator

it'd probably cheaper to hire a driller than to build your own rig.

Yah, but think of the fun I'da missed. I figured I spent about 250 hours building the rig, spent $300 on 8" and 6" sch 4 steel pipe, $80 on welding rod, had most the steel and etc. in my 'personal junkyard<G>.
Likely 'made' less than minimum wage (but tax free), way less than 'day job' wages.

Did have fun though.

Pic for AC_Hacker attached.

re: How did you get the rock chips out of the boring?
Had 2 winches on the rig, big one to pull the drill (cable wrapped around a car wheel); and a small elec motor winch to lower and raise a bail made of a piece of 4" sq tubing with a flapper at the bottom. Drill 2-3 feet, pull the drill, lower the bail and bail out the rock chips and mud.

How did you keep the hole open/clean enough to build your well in the sand?
Drilled a 6" hole down to the sand (very fine sand), then jetted a 4" coarse screen into the sand layer to the clay - used an old 'scrap' pump to pump out the water, which was laden with the fine sand for about 10 hours, after which it has been clear water for many years.

Wish I was young again like in the pic......parts were from '63 GMC truck, '71 Datsun, and '62 Impala.......probably would have more than paid to have the well drilled if I'da just put them trucks and car in storage till now???
Attached Images

mejunkhound is offline   Reply With Quote