View Single Post
Old 08-28-14, 08:48 PM   #63
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooomer View Post
This is why I need to do my hack. What you're seeing is the energy usage in real time of my current condensing dryer. It takes about 3 hours to do a small-medium size load and uses 2KW during that time (average). I do a load per day because my units are so small.
Yeah, I feel your pain.

I don't know if you live in your own house, but if you had some kind of very small room like a closet, you could do an initial test. You could put some sheet plastic down on the floor, and take some spin-dried clothes, and hang them on hangers, and put your air conditioner in there with the clothes (you would need a drip pan to catch the condensation from the clothes), and close the door while the A/C tries desperately to cool down your closet, but since the condenser will be kicking out heat, the A/C will just keep trying.

What would make this different from a real de-humidifier is that the de-humidifier will automatically cycle so that the frost that forms on the evaporator coils will melt.

So you wouldn't want to do this for very long because your A/C will not know to cycle, because the closet will never get cool.

If I were you, I wouldn't let it run more than 15 minutes or so.

But this experiment might give you some sense of how it could work, or not work.

I do nutty stuff like this all the time.

-AC