View Single Post
Old 03-02-16, 11:50 PM   #27
Mobile Master Tech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

A 2013 Chevy Volt, loaded, Certified Preowned with 50k miles can now be had for $15k. GM was very conservative with their batteries, only using about 65% of capacity and never fully charging or discharging them. They will probably be good for 5000+ cycles at that low level. The Volt's battery is conveniently already broken into 24 and 48v modules, too!

More cars like this on the road means more battery packs and components will be available at salvage prices for repurposing.

I'm an Automotive Master Tech. Most worry about repair costs from extra complexity in the electric drive, but any electric vehicle or hybrid capable of moving under its own power with the engine off will have much lower repair expenses for the rest of the car because nearly everything a car normally needs fixed is because of heat damage from constant high underhood and undercar temps, especially due to low airflow at low speeds or when stopped. Rubber, plastic and electronics all last longer-engine gaskets, cooling system components, grease boots on suspension components, computer modules, etc.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobile Master Tech For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (03-04-16)