View Single Post
Old 03-28-14, 02:16 PM   #2
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I did the living room, kitchen, and second bedroom. I didn't use the lip stapling method as I wanted to get as much insulation in as possible. With lip stapling the convexity of the bulging insulation starts in a bit from the outside of the studs So I stapled the netting flat to the studs and stretched it as tight as possible. Here you can see the bulge after blowing:

I decided it was best to buy an insulation roller and use it to flatten the insulation out. If you don't go this route and you don't use lip stapling you won't be able to get the drywall flat. It's really easy to flatten out the insulation with a roller. Here's what it looks like after being rolled:

Overall it was a very satisfying operation once I got to actually putting it in. I estimate that I put in a density just above 3lbs/ cubic foot. Once I rolled it flat the insulation made things a lot quieter inside the house. It was definitely noticeable and I attribute it to the fact that rolling pushes the cellulose into all the nooks and crannies that the regular blowing process misses. That is the difference between using netting and cutting holes in the exterior walls and blowing against rigid drywall. While you can't get the consistency with that method you can pack it really tight. That doesn't work as well with netting because no matter how tight you stretch it will still bulge. It's just the nature of the beast. Use that fact and just plan on compressing it by rolling it. It works really well and ends up being very consistent and of adequate density.
Attached Images

Last edited by Exeric; 03-28-14 at 02:22 PM..
Exeric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Exeric For This Useful Post:
AC_Hacker (03-28-14), buffalobillpatrick (03-31-14), Daox (03-31-14), jeff5may (03-29-14)