View Single Post
Old 11-11-13, 06:01 PM   #25
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
I'll have a 15' by 56' roof pitch to work with, more or less. one 500' roll will give me a 14" spacing between runs. That's $400, the 3/4" foil backed board is another $400.
$400? how do you break that down?

Quote:
I will look at some charts and see if it would pay.
I'd like to see what the charts tell you.

Quote:
We really don't do solar well up here
Roger that... but we do get low quality solar. You need to have a goodly amount of temperature difference between your heated water and your radiating structure. It just so happens that a homemade heat pump can extract the heat and give you the delta-T, quite happily. The question is, will it supply heat at the rate you require. This is where reducing infiltration and increasing insulation becomes so important.

Also, if you have the land and the gumption, a ground source loop field can provide heat for you during the chill months, but during warm months, your PEX in the roof can gather warmth that you can stash in the ground (assuming you don't have serious water movement in the ground)... and it will cool your roof at the same time.

randen used the loop field to heat his shop near Toronto, and he built a homemade heat pump for that purpose.

He left a fairly well-documented trail...

BTW, I've kind of come into this thread in the middle... does your shop exist already? Are you building new? Are you renovating or are you planning out your ultimate shop?

-AC