View Single Post
Old 10-26-12, 08:31 PM   #161
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I thought i'd fill you all in on what became of my ambitious plans to use attic heat to heat the house. Unfortunately I've discovered a big rodent problem in the attic. I can get rid of them but there will always be the potential problem of blowing dust from old rat poop into the house. Not good. I could use a filter but human nature being what it is there would always be times when it either gets clogged or was not replaced once when it was taken out for cleaning, either by me or a new owner. Its a problem just waiting to happen down the line. So I've decided to abandon the idea for health reasons.

A side issue in abandoning the idea is that my roof is prime real estate for putting up future solar panels. If that ever happens they would absorb or reflect much of the heat the roof would get, thereby diminishing the effectiveness of attic heat. I think attic heat is a good idea but after much thought I think it best to design it into the construction of the house to begin with. That way one wouldn't have the rodent problem to deal with or solar panels diminishing it's effectiveness.

Exeric is offline   Reply With Quote