View Single Post
Old 11-15-18, 10:02 AM   #1
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Default DIY Geothermal install

I am considering putting in Geothermal. I was going to wait but some of the tax credits are expiring.

I have a 4 ton AC now with natural gas heat we really don’t use these we use theses much we use our mini splits.
I bought a tractor with a backhoe. https://ecorenovator.org/forum/lawn-...-1710-tbl.html I want to dig my own loop field. I know it will take longer but I am ok with that we still have Mini splits so it does not have to be a fast install.

I wanted to keep my natural gas heat as backup heat but I talked to a couple installers here and they say don’t do it. They said it will kill efficiency.

I have been thinking about the system and would like some advice.
Going with a 4 ton two stage system.

1.) Pressurized or non-Pressurized system? Which one is better? I have read non-Pressurized is simpler to purge and fill?

2.) Slinkey loops or no slinky loop? I have been thinking about doing slinky to not dig up as much pasture but I am not sure.
I could do it just with a 10” trench since I have a backhoe.

3.) What system to get? I have been thinking of maybe getting a climate master system water to air it will be in my crawl space. Are there better brands?

4.) Loop field I am seeing 600’ each loop ¾” pipe with 4 loops for a 4 ton system.

5.) I have never done duct work I might contract that part out.

Looking for some feedback I have been reading but not many people dig their own system for every thing i read do it this way I also read do do it this way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 11-15-18 at 11:00 AM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote