View Single Post
Old 01-30-13, 06:28 PM   #12
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeric View Post
Well, that answers that. It seems to imply the humidity filtering only occurs in one direction - outside to inside. Too bad.
Well, the way it works is that as the higher temperature air, with it's load of water vapor, moves across a higher-to-lower temperature gradient, as the air temperature changes, if it crosses the dew point, will causes the vapor to condense and become water.

If you have a HRV, the water stays on the side of the barrier on which it condenses, and exits, usually through a tube to be disposed.

If you have an ERV, the barrier is permeable, and the water crosses through the barrier and evaporates into the air in the lower-to-higher temperature gradient.

I was very careful with my language to avoid words like "inside" and "outside" so that the description would be valid when read for heating as well as air conditioning.

So, if you wanted to ventilate AND save heat in a bathroom/shower, you would NOT use a ERV, as that would send the water vapor back into the loo. So in that case the proper choice would be a HRV.

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 01-30-13 at 08:54 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote