View Single Post
Old 09-19-14, 07:21 PM   #11
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Wet & Dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I have a gas dryer, and I was thinking about the most efficient way to run it. I would assume that using a lower heat setting would be more efficient. It will take longer to dry, but the heat would be used more efficiently (less losses). At least thats what I would think.

Thoughts?
The tumbling action of a dryer has a wearing effect on clothing. I have even heard that some folks in Germany and other European countries do not use dryers for that very reason.

So, if you gotta use a dryer, you not only pay an energy cost, but also a clothing-lifetime reduction cost, and all the energy that is embodied in the clothing.

If you reduce the power to the resistance element, you are going to lengthen the time that the tumbling action is breaking down the fibers of your clothing.

It would be easy to chart power consumption, but difficult to calculate the cost of clothing wear.

As I recall, you have had a problem with winter air being uncomfortably dry. And you have loads of laundry that are uncomfortably wet.

Surely there is a solution to both of these problems at once, that would save energy.

-AC