View Single Post
Old 11-21-17, 01:56 PM   #15
Sccoupe
Helper EcoRenovator

Everything is already buried, hooked up, antifreeze added, and in use. This past weekend, I converted a one ton portable heat pump (two hose type) to geothermal by swapping the condensor with a 1 ton coaxial condensor that I had for other testing. Hooked up another circulation pump and hoses and its now really pumping out the heat. For the most part (before the real cold) the 4 ton air source heat pump can be shut off and only the circulation fan left running. One issue so far is that the thermostat in the portable unit is reading colder than it should, so the temps get too hot in the house and when it finally shuts off, the thermostat temp jumps up to what it should read. Removing the stock evaporator may have left a way for it to suck in some colder air from around the coaxial evaporator in some way. Thats the theory, need to be played with some. Also, watching the electric use, the portable 1 ton seems to use twice the electric that my other one ton geothermal PTAC uses. Not sure what to think of that yet. The PTAC is geothermal from the factory with TXV and all that by Climatemaster and the other like I said is a converted portable with cap tubes. Perhaps the conversion shows it inefficiency, or maybe the unit wasnt meant to be as efficient in heating mode, not sure yet.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
I would think all of the latter ideas .

Typically , when does it start to go below 32F , where you live ?

What kind of pipe will be exposed above ground ( PEX ? ) ?

Best of luck to you , :-)
Wyr
God bless
Sccoupe is offline   Reply With Quote