View Single Post
Old 06-14-15, 07:57 AM   #6
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
Call me crazy...
Not crazy at all. Skylights are terrible from an efficiency point of view. They simply do NOT have the R Value of a properly insulated wall.

But I would very much miss my skylights if I didn't have them. The one upstairs is on the side that otherwise has no windows. (It's a very low second story. The skylight actually gives you extra headroom right there.)

The kitchen skylight is on the side of the room that otherwise only has one window. The kitchen and living room are one large room with a vaulted ceiling. The skylight is a central part of that character. In terms of lighting and aesthetic value, I wouldn't trade that skylight for anything, but yes, it does become a pretty hot shaft of sunlight on summer afternoons.

Some removable shade cloth seems like a good simple answer to summer heat gain.

I have also considered designing some sort of internal insulated shutters to be closed at night in the winter, but have never really gotten around to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote