View Single Post
Old 06-21-20, 11:48 PM   #25
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Working on the wireless sensor - managed to get it outputting a nice, low jitter signal. For a test, I had it transmitting music over the power line and the quality is surprisingly good - not HD but about as good as expected for FM. Next up will be implementing the subcarriers for the phase current imbalance and digital data transmission. I now understand why no commercial zero export inverter uses PLC for the sensors - it's hard to get right.

I also started planning out the FPGA design. The FPGA I chose is a Spartan 6 LX100-3, because it's relatively cheap (about $10 for the board!) and quite large with 180 DSP cores and just over 100k general purpose logic cells. It's not as energy efficient as the (much more expensive) Artix 7 I have, but it doesn't use enough power (just a few watts at most) to significantly impact the efficiency of the whole system and is unlikely to be pushed near the limits of what it can do, unlike the Artix 7 that was stuffed full of BLAKE256 instances and run at basically the maximum clock speed it's capable of when it was helping Naomi Wu.