View Single Post
Old 07-30-17, 12:03 AM   #139
Peakster
Apprentice EcoRenovator

This is true. Including utilities as part of the rent does open the door to abuse (granted there's a clause about not wasting utilities). However, chasing after housemates for each bill is a royal pain the ***.

Even the addition of cable was supposed to be shared between just the 2 housemates that wanted it - but somehow they swindled me into getting it in my name because the WiFi already was. Think any of them paid their share yet? Looks like it's just going to have to be a cost of doing business.

The nice thing is that I could always cancel the household WiFi completely at anytime (or reduce the speed) which would render the servers useless. The rental contract only states that I'm only responsible for providing heat, electricity, & water.

Edit: I actually talked to the housemate with the servers about Bitcoin & thought we could make some money. Turns out that we'd have to buy an 'anteater' bitcoin miner (as CPUs and graphics cards aren't fast enough) and even if we did it would only harvest about $900/year. It would take 2.5 years to pay off the machine & it would severely bog down the household router. Shucks...

Last edited by Peakster; 07-30-17 at 12:53 AM..
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote