View Single Post
Old 08-24-13, 01:59 PM   #26
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
I just found the Target model a month ago and am in the process of saving for one now. We try not to use the stove very much in the summertime, but this will help alleviate some of that excess heat worry.
Thanks, the Target model (Aroma) is still working out for me, reliably doing what it should every day since I wrote the review.

The excess heat aspect is absolutely a great benefit, and in the summertime it is especially advantageous and cost effective.

My initial reason for getting into induction cooking was reducing CO2 levels in my house, which is becoming more important the more I reduce infiltration losses. It has succeeded very well in that, too.

My summertime gas usage cost is now down to less than half of the fixed service charge (cost to read the meter).

Benefit for the buck... it is a winner. However, I'm sure that there are other units that are in the same price category (maybe even cheaper) that work just as well.

I hope you are as pleased with the unit you get as I am with mine.

My other unit works well too, but it's too noisy for daily use... it makes me grumpy. But I really do like the variable temperature control, as imperfect as it is.

I think a really good induction unit would have a calibrated temperature control that would actually give you the temperature you call for. Maybe the brutally expensive units ($1000+) are this good.

On my dream unit, I would also like to see full programmability and that would easily let you set up storable 'temperature profiles', because some cooking requires that you have various stages where temperatures are held at an exact level for an exact amount of time, and then changed to a different level for some other amount of time, etc.

But I don't think a unit such as this even exists yet (Arduino hackers are you reading this?).

Best,

-AC