View Single Post
Old 04-22-13, 04:37 PM   #16
stevehull
Steve Hull

AC,

Great comparisons on induction cookers. The cool down is very likely largely a result of the thermal mass of the pot or pan you are using. When you turn off an induction cooker, it is like turning off a microwave oven - the power is off instantaneously (except for the small thermal mass of the ceramic directly above the induction element).

My son loves his induction stove and his heavy cast iron pots work very well as not only is there the even heat put out by the element, but then that element heats a large thermal mass of the pot. He feels that the heavier the pot (larger amount of ferrous material) the more even the heat.

He has pointed out to my wife (who loves gas cooktops) that it is FAR easier to simmer on an induction as he can literally dial in a specific temp. The same with a gas element means that the heated area is very small (leading to scorching in that small area) and the very low flame can easily blow out.

But she LOVES her Revere copper clad cookware and being able to "see" the heat. Yup, she doesn't like the microwave either . . .

I may just buy one of these units and recess it next to the stove where we can also cook stews etc. Since I do most of the cooking, I should have something to say . . . .

You may have mentioned this, but what price rance are the units and which one would you recommend?

Thanks again for your "Consumer Reports" feature.

Steve