View Single Post
Old 04-09-13, 03:33 PM   #13
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default A First Look At Little Buzzy's Guts...

I have decided to christen my induction cooker, 'Little Buzzy'.

So today it seemed only fit that I should open Little Buzzy up to see what's going on inside.

[EDIT: 1200V are present in this unit!!!!]

I unscrewed the bottom and... there was a brief resistance that I overcame, and the bottom came right off.

This is a view of the layout of Little Buzzy's underside. Doesn't look so terribly complex, does it?

This is a view from about 45 degrees of the main induction coil and other parts.

This is a close up of Little Buzzy's induction coil, showing the low-mass plastic mounting plate that supports the coil. Looks pretty resonant, doesn't it?

Not so clearly shown in the photos is the fact that the air cooling fan looks pretty robust, but is forced to try to blow through thin slits in the bottom, thus reducing air flow by about 65% or better. The same situation exists at the back of the cooker... impeded air flow.

So, right off, possible improvements could be:
  • Open up the air flow
  • Add non-magnetic mass to the induction coil, with ceramic or brass plates
  • Investigate the knob encoder, and possibly replace with a better unit, that is made in a Chinese factory that is more good.

Also it should be noted that the initial resistance I felt when I took off the bottom plate, was due to some kind of heat transmitting pasty goo that put a heat sensor in touch with the bottom of the cooking surface. I'll have to test to see how that has affected the temperature sensing function.

Best,

-AC
Attached Images

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 04-13-13 at 02:13 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote