View Single Post
Old 06-16-15, 11:51 AM   #13
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Play nice fellas.
Twenty years ago, the percentage of people in the US who thought that the actions of man were having a detrimental effect on the environment, and that actions should be taken, was in the high 60's, low 70's.

Two decades later, after huge and rising amounts of real scientific studies have pointed to the fact that things are not only getting worse and getting worse faster, but we are approaching "tipping points", beyond which it will no longer be possible to reverse trends that will make life on our planet a seriously degraded prospect. The tragic irony is that the percentage of people in the US who believe that action should be taken has fallen to about the 50% level.

This drop in public support did not come from public apathy, or lack of public concern. It came from well-documented, carefully organized and executed public relations campaigns. The origin and support for these campaigns is easily traceable to specific sources whose profits would be diminished by the changes that would be required to reduce global climate change.

In fact, because of the tsunami of disinformation that has swept over not only the US, but also Europe, the published scientific projections are being understated even though the data and computer projections are becoming even more dire.

There is a very well documented book now out called "This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate" by Naomi Klein. It can be obtained from any library or book seller you can think of.

It is also freely, and legally available HERE.

If you are not inclined to read, a free and legal audio version is available HERE

I take the 'ECO' part of EcoRenovator very seriously, from its Latin root, oîkos that means house or household. When we talk of Economics, we are using that word, and when we talk of Ecology we are using that word. I think we should all be very aware of not only the money we might save from our improvements, but even more, the lowering of our burden on our ultimate "household".

If someone is using EcoRenovator to distribute disinformation, I think it is a responsibility to call it what it is: Disinformation.

Finally, if anyone thinks that I am taking cheap shots at an old man, please understand that I am older than Xringer, and age is no excuse for ignorance.

Sincerely,

-AC_Hacker
Higgy (06-16-15)