View Single Post
Old 07-27-11, 12:29 AM   #10
tomboy mom
Helper EcoRenovator

i don't really have anything to add to your original question, but thanks for posting that link.

in the meantime, there are some temporary fixes that may provide relief from some of the radiant heat on your south wall. i, too, have an undersized air conditioner and have had to get creative to make it work. (the first year the ac was serviced no less than 5 times--we were attempting to keep it at 89 degrees inside)

anyway, some of the easiest modifications i have done provided substantial relief. many of these could easily be moved when you do the rigid foam thing.
1) deep awnings! i can't say enough about how helpful these are. we only have them on the west side because it is the only side the hoa doesn't monitor.
2) on my overhang outside the backdoor i hung a round curtain rod from ikea. a dowel or pvc pipe would work too. i then sewed a (relatively) straight seam down a beige king size flat sheet i picked up at a thrift store. for most of the day i pull the sheet out of the way by twisting it and pulling it to one side but from about noon to 7 pm i keep the sheet pulled across to provide shade. the temperature between this five dollar set up and the house is much lower than the outside. the surface temperature of the exterior wall is much lower as well.
3) landscape poles with shade cloth attached. also facing west.
4) consider tinting the windows, although this may not be good for you in the winter.
5) consider building exterior solar screens for your windows. they aren't difficult to make and can be taken off for winter..
6) if next year still presents the same challenges consider planting a rapidly growing vine up a trellis about a foot from the house.winter squash works well. for mine on the problem side of the house i actually removed the flowers to prevent fruiting.
tomboy mom is offline   Reply With Quote