View Single Post
Old 05-15-12, 10:23 AM   #1236
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile Master Tech View Post
I am considering a Danfoss Micro Plate HX, since they have no internal gaskets to leak unlike regular plate exchangers. They are supposedly more efficient and can handle R410a pressures. Anyone have any good sources for these?
The kind of plate HXs I have been interested in are called brazed plate, and they are all one hermetically sealed unit... no gaskets used in their construction. If they are brazed into your system, you shouldn't have any leakage problem.

The pressure part is another story. Maximum pressure and working pressure are two of the characteristics that you should be able to find in the Specifications Sheet for each exchanger.

The pressure will be highest in the condenser side of the circuit:

...which is the part coming from the compressor to the expansion valve (the part of the circuit shown in red-to-pink).

As you already know, R410a is higher pressure than R22, etc. and care needs to be taken that the HX can stand the stress, so make sure that the 'working pressure' rating is higher than the high-side pressure of your system.

You might try looking on ebay for BRAZED PLATE you are sure to turn up something.

Good luck with the project.

-AC
Attached Images