View Single Post
Old 03-23-12, 11:36 AM   #4
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Aim ahead of the duck, if you want dinner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
I'm within a week of closing on a really neat/odd home and I wanted some input on weatherizing it. The climate is Mediterranean, so that's a plus.
roflwaffle,

It would be really helpful if you said something about the geographical location and elevation and solar orientation of your home.

"Mediterranean" can have a very broad meaning.

In Portland, Oregon (my fair city) the city planners are calling Portland a Mediterranean climate (possibly to enhance the touristic value), but EcoRenovator is getting postings from folks near the Spainish Mediterranean coast. Now THAT is clearly Mediterranean.

Also, there is good reason to believe that the rapid increase in energy costs is not an anomaly, and is likely to increase. This will mean that not only fuel will get more expensive (this includes electricity), but also that anything that requires industrial processing will also get more expensive (this includes insulation).

My house, for instance, was built in 1892, at a time when forests were assumed to be inexhaustible and firewood was essentially free. During that time, insulating your home would be absurd, so it was not insulated.

But now, the forests are not inexhaustible and heating energy is far from free and insulation is a necessity. So what I'm trying to say is that you have a moving target. As every duck hunter knows, you don't shoot at the duck, you aim ahead of the duck, if you want dinner.

From the above chart, you can see for yourself that the duck is flying pretty fast. Aim ahead of the duck, if you want dinner.

Regards,

-AC_Hacker

Attached Images

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 03-23-12 at 11:41 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote