View Single Post
Old 03-23-12, 12:29 AM   #2
AlanE
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
I've been searching for info, and from what I've seen it looks like it's best to insulate the exposed masonry, but the I've also read that there's less need to insulate anything earth-bermed since it will tend to stay pretty consistent in terms of temperature. Does anyone have any experience/input with this kind of house? It seems really unique so I'm not sure where to even start.
Unless the mean annualized temperature of the ground surrounding your basement is at or above the temperature you find comfortable in your living environment, you're going to be losing heat from your basement out into the berm. The insulation on the basement walls will slow the heat transfer.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be seriously inclined towards insulation but I'd double check myself on the economics of the renovation. How much is spent on heating the home, how much of the basement is used as livable space, how much will it cost to insulate and what would the payback period be.

You say that it's in a Mediterranean climate so I think that makes the proposition a bit more iffy than if you lived in Alaska.
AlanE is offline   Reply With Quote