View Single Post
Old 12-30-16, 05:55 PM   #123
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
The language in the email makes me think its ok to run it now...
When the power company guy showed up to swap in my net meter (back in 2013), 10 panels (half my array) were running in "testing" mode. I knew full well that any over-production was NOT spinning my standard smart meter backward or giving me a credit, in fact everything I read about the "standard smart meter" my power company was using indicated it was factory programmed to only roll numbers forward even if you were trying to roll it backwards, to avoid electricity theft. The shedding of my base load, and triggering my electric water heater to run right around solar noon lowered my chance of having my PV array spin the meter too much in the power company's favor while I was "testing" my system, since any excess I was "giving them" was adding to my bill.

If your power company has made any "smart meter" data available to you online, I strongly suggest you mine it for anything you want before they swap your meter. When my smart meter went in, it was months before they got things reconfigured to where I could view my usage data, and all my old data was wiped when they pointed their webpage at the new meter database.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to where2 For This Useful Post:
Roostre (12-30-16)