Thread: AC leak
View Single Post
Old 08-07-15, 02:41 PM   #12
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Nice. That makes for a small unit for that sq footage and temps. I was planning to add wall thickness as I remodeled back when we were staying here. We are at a little over 1700sqft and man j using published numbers it requires just over 3 tons. Running the numbers that are more accurate to here its closer to 4 tons. My new unit is going in a different closet as when I remodel the existing closet is going away and becoming part of the master bedroom. So I can't add insulation in the attic till its in as I'm also going to put the vents in the right places too. Back in the 60s they put them all on the interior walls...
I keep our interior temp at 75 but due to those poorly placed vents some of the house is warmer than that.

When I check my prices on ac units the pricing is odd. Often a 4 ton is less than a 3.5 and 2 to 2.5 tons are often as much as larger units.

I'd like to add another unit to my shop so I can work out there in the summer. With my 2 ton running from really morning I can work till around 2pm before it gets too uncomfortable. I like metal buildings but the steel framing transfers so much heat inside and acts like 2" square 40' long radiators. They stay cold and sweat in the winter too.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote