Thread: AC leak
View Single Post
Old 08-06-15, 03:46 PM   #10
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I'm going to use one of their 95% furnaces bit not the variable one. We aren't going to be here much longer so it isn't worth the extra cost and high efficiency units don't increase resale value here. However an oversized ac does as man j figures aren't correct for the weather here. I did the man j and it came up with a 3.5 ton unit. Well man j shows 99* which is below what it should be especially when right now we sit at 104* for around 4 hrs a day and the heat isn't even here yet. Ac will basically run about 20 hrs a day or more and when it gets up to 115* you won't be comfortable. The only way I get ours to cycle at all when it's over 100* is to reduce airflow to parts of the house. The laundry room has no air going to it and the kitchen is always warm but bearable.
Luckily many hvac contractors are now sizing systems for 105* extra and 70* inside. Some will size for 68* as allot of people like it that cool. I prefer 72* which is also what is recommended for commercial buildings as that's where most people are comfortable.

Not sure if I'm going 3.5 or 4 ton yet. Furnace size is typically always oversized here as you need the larger furnace because of the larger ac we need here. The current furnace is an 80% Lennox and the blowers in them are very loud (slow start as well)and use more electricity than other brands. The Rheem I put in my parents house same size is so much quieter pulls less watts and actually moves more air.

Never have liked the idea of having to build a sealed room for the hvac in which you provide a vent to the outside for combustion air. Or it sucking conditioned air out of the house and pulling air through all the small leaks in he walls etc.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote