View Single Post
Old 10-23-13, 02:11 AM   #112
Quest
Apprentice EcoRenovator

@Xringer:

most SMPS-based AC power conversion systems, from all forms of electronic power supply systems such as modern TV sets, DVD players, computer power supplies, laptop power supplies, or even things like line voltage based (AC120V) LED or CFL lightbulbs, they all don't like power surges. Some rather inferior designed SMPS will not tolerate brownouts.

Because of cost concerns, almost all of these CFLs and some LED lights are built with insufficient component operational safety margin. If they are to use in 120V AC line, typically, they would simply put in some cheep, borderline voltage components (e.g. 200V DC electrolytic capacitors, etc.) that will fail when there's a line voltage swing or surge.

Also: they use some epoxy dipped mylar based film caps in most CFL bulbs just because they (those film caps) are cheaper than proper film cap types (like polypropylene type)...insulation breakdowns due to heat is an eventual affair that will happen to all these CFL bulbs one way or another.

Of all the bulbs I've dissected so far, only a small handful of them tends to be extremely well built: GeeEee CFLs seems to be ok (although I do have 1 failed on me shortly after purchasing, and the vendor refused to replace due to lack of receipt); FEIT is generally ok but I also heard/been told about inconsistent quality and durability also; I'd stay away from generic ones including some re-branded ones such as Sylvania CFLs...I had quite of few of them failed on me prematurely.

As far as LED bulbs I'm currently using Ikea ones, Philips A19 and also Cree 40Watt equivalent. Too soon to tell which ones will last for they are all sealed nicely and I don't feel right to dissect them to perform a reliability assessment.

Quest-TD
Quest is offline   Reply With Quote