View Single Post
Old 11-24-11, 07:17 AM   #5
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterpower View Post
Other systems that use an outdoor temp sensor, use that sensor to adjust how hot the boiler runs. My system has a few zone thermostats and one on the boiler itself. I could replace the thermostat on the boiler with one that auto adjusts based on outside temp.

The colder it is out side, the faster the house loses heat, the hotter the boiler runs.
My boiler has to be manually adjusted, but if there is a pot on the other side of the knob, then maybe the boiler's max temp could be adjusted by the Arduino. That would require some measurements and soldering, and I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble since I only adjust it 2-4 times per year.

Something that came to mind today is to adjust the set room temperature as a funtion of outdoor temperature. During the coldest days, when day/night temps would be as low as -20°C/-30°C (-4°F/-22°F), the boiler would be on almost nonstop struggling to reach the set daytime temperature of 18°C/64°F, so I'd manually set the nighttime temp (16°C/61°F) for 24h to allow the system to turn off every now and then. Since the radiators never had time to really cool off, then there was lots of radiant heat to make up for the cooler air temp, so it wasn't too uncomfortable.

The "thermoduinostat" could be programmed to automatically lower the daytime (and maybe nighttime) temperature to ease the thermal loss when it's really cold.