View Single Post
Old 01-25-11, 12:29 AM   #506
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Economical long term heat storage seems to be the "holy grail" of eco-heating.
Did you see this post on heat storage systems?

Quote:
Do you think your temp drop could be because your ground loop might be undersized or that your connecting run appears to be somewhat shallower than the 5-6' deep installations I've seen(losing some heat to colder surface)? Don't know what should actually be stable at.
All loop fields have some kind of temperature drop curve. When you extract heat there will be some kind of temperature drop over time. The curves are shaped like this:

The bigger and deeper the loop field, the slower the temp drop. Soil characteristics play a part in it too. When you stop extracting heat, there is also a recovery curve.

So, for my project, I need to see if the temp drop curve is slow enough to allow me to get through winter where I live.

If I increase insulation in my house, will that lower the heat load enough so I won't need to extract so much heat?

Will I need to drill more holes for a larger field?

I don't know these things yet.

And here in my area, there are periods during the winter when the air temp actually goes higher than the ground temp, so it would make better sense to use ASHP then, and rely on GSHP for when the temps take a nose-dive, which they do for some period each winter.

Quote:
Your field design is nice that it is expandable.
Yes,I have expansion as an option because I really don't know how the movie is gonna end yet.

Quote:
If I can get the cost in hand enough go heat pump to drive my hdro system I would like to. In my construction plan I will be trenching(80-100') for septic and foundation drainage out thru hillside to mound septic field. For me this would be the ideal opportunity the lay ground loop in same earth work. Even if I don't use it's only a few hundred feet of tube.
[* I assume by hydro, you are refering to radiant floor, right? If that is the case, bear in mind that heat pumps work happier (and more efficiently) when they don't need to produce very high temperatures. That's where the PEX spacing comes into play. By reducing the PEX spacing, you can reduce the feed temperature, and increase heat pump efficiency. *]

I think that you may have a good idea here. It just might be a great way to recover heat from domestic water use.

But read up on how much tube to put into a trench... I have a feeling that you may need more tubing that you might think.

Regards,

-AC_Hacker
Attached Images