View Single Post
Old 12-27-20, 06:54 AM   #26
solarhotairpanels
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Drainback system

Ok, sounds good and good luck with your new business.

Try to stick with 3/4 pipe because the water will drain back much faster with the larger diameter.

Haven't had any air issues corroding my pipes. System has been functioning now since 2010. System can be flushed with vinegar using a sump pump submerged in 5 gal bucket.

Similar to tankless water heaters your system should be flushed at least once per year to remove rusty water and contaminants. Red hot water passing thru copper creates rusty water.

When building your piping install flush kits. All a flush hit is is a water valve with a shut off allowing you to connect a garden hose to the flush valve. You want to install 2 flush valves total. One on the outbound pipe leading TO collector, one on the return pipe FROM collector.

How to flush solar hot water drainback collector system:
Drain system
Dump 3 gallons of vinegar into 5 gallon bucket
Put sump pump into bucket
Connect a garden type hose from sump pump to pipe (flush valve) that goes out to collector
Connect another hose from collector (flush valve) return pipe back to 5 gal bucket
Turn on sump pump and pump vinegar thru system for 30 minutes
Dump bucket and replenish with fresh water
Run the pump again with the fresh water in bucket to flush out remaining rusty contaminated water

All done!

Take care and don't forget to post pictures back in here of your system especially whatever your plans are for the parabolic setup. Like to see that.

Please Note:
Comments and/or suggestions I make here at the forums on 'your' projects as well as my own have all been carefully and scientifically calculated by 'the seat of my pants'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
solarhotairpanels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solarhotairpanels For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (03-07-21), osolemio (12-30-20)