View Single Post
Old 07-11-16, 07:53 AM   #1
STM
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Heat pump water heater reality check

Criticize me here. Want to hash out my plan before I'm in too deep. I have a 30 gallon electric water heater that I want to install a heat pump onto. Step one will be to move the cold water intake to a tee located at the drain valve. The old cold water intake at the top will have the drop tube removed and a union fitting installed. This union will contain a plug with 2x 1/4 acr copper lines brazed in, continuing to a 25' coil on the tank. Midway the lines will terminate into a 1/2" copper stub which will be crimped around the lines and brazed to make a 180* turn tight enough to fish down through the 3/4 inlet. The heat pump will be a 5k btu R410a unit with original compressor and evaporator. Cap tube replaced with an R22 1/2 ton TXV and running propane for refrigerant. Heat pump will be controlled by a normal water heater thermostat through a 5 minute industrial power on delay timer to prevent any short cycling. Original elements will remain intact and wired up. Beaker off unless the backup is needed. Solid plan? Flaws?

STM is offline   Reply With Quote