View Single Post
Old 09-01-16, 01:54 PM   #40
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Best I can figure if I only used the more expensive air conditioner during the summer it would pay for its self in 2 years as compared to buying the $400 cheaper unit. Using the heat pump for heating during the winter, even better it may pay for its self in one year.
Really depends on how many hours a day you intend to run it.

If you do a break-even analysis, considering the initial cost (fixed cost), and the incremental cost (variable cost) of running in your comparison you will see what's going on.

I tend to strongly prefer units with the highest HSPF (for heating) because of cost, and also I am aware of the CO2 advantage. despite higher initial cost.

However, I was doing the very same consideration for a unit to use in my basement shop space, and in that case, the higher HSPF did not pay off.

The reason was that my shop heating is so intermittent, that the efficiency advantage was never there, even projecting a 15 year life.

I did the same comparison against a resistance heater, and the lower efficiency heat pump was the winner, even with intermittent use. Breaking even in about a year and a half.

-AC
stevehull (09-01-16)