View Single Post
Old 01-05-12, 05:46 AM   #9
abogart
Efficiency Afficionado

Thanks for all the great info, MN Renovator! I haven't been able to find those disposable ones that fit my unit before. But $134 per year in just furnace filters??? Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
Back to your temperature rise, this sounds like you have an inadequate ductwork issue, if there is enough restriction in your ductwork due to bad design and it can't handle the airflow to keep temperature rise down, you either need to have a lower capacity furnace or your ductwork fixed. It could be in the return side or the supply side or a combination of both. An HVAC tech would measure your duct pressure to determine this, if its over 1" water, you need to fix your ducts or have a lower output furnace.
I never thought about that part of the equation. Because it's a big, 2-story house, I have many of the dampers partially or fully closed to balance the heat. If I open them all completely, the room with the thermostat and several rooms downstairs heat up way too quickly and the upstairs bedrooms and several other rooms downstairs stay cold. I think the house originally had a wood or coal stove and, apparently, back in the day they didn't care if the rooms heated equally.

So there I go re-engineering something that isn't broken again . I suppose the way to fix that problem would be to install some of those duct booster fans for the far rooms, but they are a bit pricey. I might just open them all back up and see if I can balance it out without restricting them too much.
abogart is offline   Reply With Quote