View Single Post
Old 10-30-12, 12:25 PM   #26
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

I would agree that to have the four sources of energy harvesting would work well.
Wind,Solar PV,Solar Hot water, Wood.

Having experienced the solar hot water it is very good bang for the buck. A lot of heat energy with no conversion ie PV 16% efficient to battery 85% to geothermal ?? One of the nice things about it, you can build your own. I would suggest better than 20% of flat plate area to floor sqft.
I would say if you build a heated slab floor 6-8" thick with 3 or more inches of insulation you would be able to be comfortable for 2-3 days without sun. We can 2 days but we have lots of glass.

Solar PV. will provide nicely when the sun is avalible. But after a week of cloudiness Oh,Oh. This can power everything conservativly. You will need batteries no doubt. I would check the new tech. lithium pricey but you get what you pay for.

Wind produces a lot of power and if your good in the shop you can build your own. No toys you want 3-5 Kw.

Nothing wrong with a fireplace. This can be positioned in the middle of the living space. You may be able to augment the chimney with a hot water heat exchanger. The trouble with a fire place your warm infront of it but the rooms of the house cool off. Just imagine with the fireplace burning and hot water flowing in the floor warming the rest of the house silently.

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote