Thread: Ben's Garage
View Single Post
Old 11-05-16, 10:02 AM   #10
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default Bens Garage

Bennelson

Congrats on your decision for the construction on your man cave. It looks like a beautiful project. Forgive me but which EV are you currently driving???

If you would like I would strongly suggest HEATED FLOORS. I've installed and live with 2 systems. The first is at my shop in the office, lunch room area. If you have been following my posts its heated with my DIY Geo-thermal HP. Its working extremely well.

The second is in my home heated with SOLAR HOT WATER and backed up by Geo-thermal. Some seasons 1/2 my space heating is FREE from the sun. And you can't beat, free.

Heated floors are the holy grail. They are sooooo comfortable.

Now you have a few options. It looks like PV is your 1st choice EXCELLENT. With the prices and equipment that is now available, awesome. TESLA power wall comes to mind. OH did you see the unveiling of the PV shingles.

Another option is Solar Hot water heating your floor. for your application this maybe a great fit. It may keep your space comfortable all the time at no cost!!! 50-60 deg. The floor will stay warm for about 4 days without sun. (6" of concrete and well insulated)

To go hand in hand add a small mini split if you need a little boost of heat AND in the summer air conditioning. This can be powered by your solar PV.

The option to build your own air to water heat pump is entirely do-able but its a lot of work and to get all the parts to play nice is daunting at times. The thought to try a direct exchange to concrete had crossed my mind.

IMHO it would be best to stay away from a utility bill. The technology is here that will prevent that bill from arriving. Your already ahead of the curve with your EV. I'm thinking you really enjoy driving by the gas-station.

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote