View Single Post
Old 08-07-20, 09:43 PM   #16
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

The iron i was using i wasnt able to remove any of the solder . Guess probably me just being a novice with that station i got it off with a soldering sucker to. I wish i could find a pic of it online of that board to make sure i dont have more solder somewhere that it shouldnt be when it dripped down my board but im not sure what i need to look for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
For what it's worth, I have a gaggle of teensy soldering stuff for electronics. My go to is the Weller. All the super pro somewhat expert peanuts have their gadgets of the day, but guess what? Weller wtcp series works for me and lots of pros that actually fix a lotta stuff. Old blue still kicking, manufactured 1973. I have a couple of tc202 stations as well. All the irons work with all the stations. Tc201. All the tips work with all the irons. Twisty knob and LCD control gimmicky stuff not for me. The tips have a number on the shank that tells the heat. Number 7, 700 degrees. Number 5, 500 degrees. Weller makes every kind of soldering iron tip you could imagine for the tc201.

Hot air stations: you get what you pay for. If you're not fixing phones or MacBooks and don't have a microscope, forget it.

For your board, a 12 dollar iron, some tip tinner (sal ammoniac), solder with lead, a small roll of chem-wick rosin, and some 91 percent alcohol for cleaning should do you. Maybe an xacto knife for scraping and cutting.

To be honest, an xacto knife is my favorite surface mount component removal tool. If it has 4 or less terminals, a little poking and prodding makes itty bitty sand based lifeforms disappear. Micro tiny surface mounted sand is the main reason I got out of consumer electronic repair.
nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote