View Single Post
Old 11-13-10, 01:29 AM   #2
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

The first thing I did was cut and install the vent holes for the cold cellar. They are just 4" dryer vents.

next I cut and foamed in 2" rigid between the joists. I also foamed and caulked all of the gaps I could find between the foundation and framing, around the vents, around the electrical box, the extra hole to outside from one of the old pipes, in those bigger gaps...

And then I applied R14 rockwool Both in the wall and in the roof above the cold room area. Instantly the room felt a bit warmer. I also jammed some in the vents since they were pouring cold air in.

After this my documenting skills went straight to hell and photo's stopped until I moved onto the next part of the project. Basically here's what I did.

I polyed the outside walls. Then I framed up a room in the corner. Due to the drain pipe running through there the room is free standing with the top 1/2" below that drain pipe. A 36" door from the reuse it center was purchased and then I bought some wood and built a frame and hung the door.

The walls were constructed of 2x4 to maximize space inside the room and it was all insulated with R14 rockwool. The roof is the same. Poly was applied on the warm side of the walls and then taped into the existing poly sealing the box. The floor place was pinned to the concrete and caulk was applied both on the inside and out to seal it up. Inside I used 3/8" plywood on the part I built and some old cedar left by the previous owner on the exterior walls. Over all it's quite air tight and thanks to the indoor outdoor thermometer I know that it has been dropping down to about 12 C at night when it's roughly 4 C outside and it climbs back up a degree or two a day if the door stays closed. I added a dryer vent to the bottom which is supposed to get air circulating and help get that hot air out but I just seems to make that initial drop faster. I will be adding a fan to the upper exhaust vent to see if I can get it down at night.

Anyways here is what it looked like as of this morning

And inside. I still need to build shelves...

It is in use obviously. The beer is kept cold enough to drink but not something you'd be happy getting from a bar. More like end of the day last beer in the mostly water filled cooler type cool then cold. I'm really hoping some power venting will get it down to outside temp nightly.

I'd also like to put some insulation down on the floor. Maybe just 1" rigid. It took a few days but the concrete floor around the cold cellar is noticably colder to the touch. The same for the concrete wall around the back but that will be dealt with soon.

Last edited by strider3700; 11-13-10 at 02:03 AM..
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote