View Single Post
Old 09-14-11, 08:17 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

I agree with Ryland. Both the power vent tank heaters are very nice as well as an on demand units. They both have their tradeoffs. Power vent units obviously have standby losses which will depend on the amount of insulation the tank has. Of course you can reduce these losses with additional insulation. On demand units have no standby losses, but their AFUE is only about 80%. I'm not sure of the AFUE for most power vent units, but Ryland's is obviously higher. My guess is these two will just about be a wash.

If I had to choose I'd probably go with an on demand. However, most require a larger exhaust pipe or a power vent which adds cost. Make sure to look at the install manuals before you buy one. I'd also find one with a dedicated air intake so it doesn't use warm house air to feed the flame.

Ryland, does your power vented tank have a dedicated intake?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote