View Single Post
Old 05-26-11, 05:36 PM   #7
skyking
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
skyking,

Thanks for the great pictures. I think that these photos are very motivating for anyone who may have an interest in building or contracting out a ground source heat pump.

Also, I'm very interested in the solar heat part of the setup you guys are doing. If there is any information and/or photos you could share about that, it would be very useful. Not only the collector part, but the plumbing, etc that keeps excessively hot water from doing damage to your loop field, and all pump sizes, etc.

Are you using an air handler for your heat pump, or a radiant setup?

Also, what was the heat loss you figured for your house when you did the design?

The house heat loss would be useful information to compare to the size of your loop filed and your solar component.

Thanks,

-AC_Hacker
It will be months before the addition housing the systems will be completed. I'll update the thread as things happen.
The original house is 1920 craftsman construction, and will have ducting and an air handler.
No idea on heat loss calculations.
The solar is for domestic hot water primarily. It is a separate system with glycol, the ground loop will be methanol.
It will have two collectors and a pump, a heat exchanger to the ground loop system, and a triangle tube boiler tank to exchange heat into the domestic hot water. It will have very small volume, and an expansion tank to cope with the extreme temperatures and pressures solar can get to when things go wrong.
When the triangle tube tank reaches operating temperature of 140 F, it will then begin to exchange heat into the ground loop on the return line.
Triangle Tube 80 Gallon Smart Tank | SolarTown: Solar Water Heaters, Storage Tanks

That is what I know for now. I'll post more as things develop.
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote