View Single Post
Old 08-21-13, 06:28 PM   #6
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I agree about the diodes, someone doesn't know don't buy from them.

I have a roof system with microinverters (SolarEdge). These are different than the Enphase in that they are DC. They are MPPT (max power point tracking) and work very, very well but there is also an interface inverter to the grid.
These panels are on the new garage roof, 28 panels, east/west orientation. I built the garage knowing at some point that I would put panels on it so when I bought my trusses I told the manufacturer to engineer them for 24' on center BUT give me enough for 16" on center. I wanted a strong roof.

There's a problem with roofs in cold climates, it's called snow, so if you live in a place that gets snow than keep your panels as low to the ground as you can if you plan on cleaning them off like I do. It's not that bad cleaning them ( I bought one of those extension booms with a pad on the end) but if I didn't have to I wouldn't miss it!. The system was free from a grant so you get what you can get and don't look that old gift horse in the mouth!

My other system is an off grid/intertie. When my batteries are charged I sell back to the grid so basically, since I don't need to run off grid, excepting during emergencies, I'm selling everything back that I don't use running my house. This is hands down the best way to go if you can. Your batteries last indefinitely and when you have a power failure they run the house. Perfect!

My intertie system is tied to my computer. I can check my panels and see how much power I'm making or have made since the system was installed.

Here's a snip of the computer display:

Rob
Attached Images

Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote