View Single Post
Old 01-05-15, 09:36 AM   #8
gtojohn
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Consider your most wasteful light fixtures. I had already replaced my standard based lights for cfl years ago, except for one 4 light halogen track with gu10 bulbs. Bulbs were 40 watts each, a small fortune, cfls were pricey too. Finally found led replacements for cheap and my 160 watt track went to 16 watts.

My 5 outdoor lights run the longest of any fixture, dusk till dawn, whether I'm home or not. I also want these lights pretty bright so the cfls I replaced were 23watts each. The leds I swapped in use about half the power.

Per my families current habits our upstairs lights run maybe an hour a day. And I'd guess 95% of our lighting use is in our kitchen and den and thats mostly provided by 3 fixtures.

Our kitchen light usually stays on from dusk until bedtime. As we've remodeled I've changed all of our new lights for led. our island vent hood has led strips for work lights. The under cabinet lights all led. We can run the whole kitchen brightly lit with just led. We even use a few kitchen lights and leave the den off for more indirect lighting for tv time.

Our ceiling fans, these bugged me 6 years ago when I was building the house. Because medium incans were to be banned the fixture companies switched over to candelabra and intermidiate base to save cost. The only fans I liked had intermidiate bases. While they've had cfl since I installed them the led are tricky to find and more than I want to pay for x4 each fan. The easy way to go would be a base adapter which I haven't yet. Each fan also has decorative uplight which used 4 x 5 watt night light bulbs. I have swapped those over to .5 watt nightlight led bulbs. Not super powerful but great for mood light.
gtojohn is offline   Reply With Quote