View Single Post
Old 03-24-17, 11:30 AM   #82
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

While running a route installing and servicing satellite TV systems, I saw a WHOLE lot of the "barndominium" and "steel chalet" homes that people just like you had built from the ground up. Every single one of the homeowners was absolutely fanatical about the structures they had completed. Many of them were surprised at how high the county set the taxable value of the improved property prior to granting occupancy. Many stated they could sell their property for double or triple of what they invested. Few stated they would ever even consider leaving the place come hell or high water.

My territory spanned a large region south of Louisville. It was bordered by I-64 on the North between Corydon, IN and Shelbyville, KY. Southern edge was Mammoth Cave Park. Pretty much all of these homes were located wherever the Google street view could not see. The only reason I knew they existed was due to the appointment scheduled. But they are literally popping up everywhere out in the country.

Modern country-style pioneers, not stereotypical dumb white rednecks, is how I would describe most of the owners. Lots and lots of meticulous planning done prior to construction in most cases. A good portion of the homes had 9 foot ceilings and vaulted lofts on the second story, as well as what appeared to be poured slab ground floors. Many of the homes had poured concrete basements without windows. Completely undetectable from outside, the underground level was pretty much built like a vault or bunker. Gun vaults/armories, trophy and war rooms, man caves, doomsday survival zones, and the like were not uncommon.

There are a lot of metal building firms in the region that cater to this type of construction. Most of their profit is made in the commercial sector, supplying turnkey solutions to all types of businesses. The type of firm you want to look for has experience in "barn conversion" projects. These building professionals have huge resources at their disposal to provide materials and support your project at every phase. Like anything useful, their services aren't free, but worth every penny. If you plan on being your own GC, these guys take a lot of the pain away in planning and finding stuff. Lots of the owners commented that the firms put up their "shell and basement kit" for less than they could source the materials on their own.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
stevehull (03-24-17)