View Single Post
Old 03-24-17, 05:46 AM   #81
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

So my fiancé freaks out every time I mention building a house. She currently is the one that I have to get to cross to the other side lol I have been crunching numbers and I think we can pull it off. It's going to take a year or two to complete paying as we go(I think that's the part she really hates) .we had actually stopped thinking about building and were just looking at houses. We can find houses on property that we like but they are all in the 250-300 range.. Somehow I just can't find it in myself to spend that much on an old house that's going to cost a lot to heat and cool every year. I would rather spend that money on a well insulated house that we built. Hopefully I can talk her into it. I've come up with a huge network of people in skilled trades that I think I can get to help me on the side. I have multipule plumbers electricians framers hvac and so on..

So I've been reconsidering the "pole barn framing" idea.I've been looking into passive house standards and I must say those are pretty amazing walls. But I don't think I'm going to take it that far. Current thought is 2x6 walls on 24" centers r23 batts wth 2-4" of rigid foam wrapping the house. Should bring me up to r33-43 and I will be pretty dang happy with that. Along with that insulation I will obviously air seal everything to the best of my ability..

Fordguy64 is offline   Reply With Quote