View Single Post
Old 12-21-14, 12:26 PM   #74
oil pan 4
Land owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robaroni View Post
"A team of scientists with the U.S. Geological Survey have found evidence “directly linking” the uptick in Colorado and New Mexico earthquakes since 2001 to wastewater injection, a process widely used in the controversial technique of hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, and conventional drilling."

Scientists Find 'Direct Link' Between Earthquakes And Process Used For Oil And Gas Drilling | ThinkProgress
I guarantee hydraulic fracturing causes tiny little 2 and 3 magnitude earth quakes. Being in NY do you have any frame of reference between a harmless 2 to 3 magnitude earth quake and a real damaging earth quake?
Funny thing is I usually only ever see east coasters trying to make a big deal about these insignificant earth quakes. People on the west coast usually don't say a lot about these 2s and 3s. I bet they find it rather entertaining that some people are trying to make suck a big deal out of them.
I lived in japan for 3 and a half years so I know what a real earth quake is. Anything less than a 4, I wouldn't even notice anymore.

Quote:
"Between 2005 and 2009, the oil and gas service companies used hydraulic fracturing
products containing 29 chemicals that are (1) known or possible human carcinogens, (2)
regulated under the Safe Drinking Water Act for their risks to human health, or (3) listed as
hazardous air pollutants under the Clean Air Act. These 29 chemicals were components of more
than 650 different products used in hydraulic fracturing."
Prime example of fear and fanaticism. You have worse chemicals than that under your sink. Plus no one hydraulic fracturing company uses every fracking chemical listed. The companies in west texas use 8 chemicals and I know what they are because I have been to several fracturing operations.
You should really be worried about the chemicals used in the food industry. The food industry uses quite a few of the same chemicals and I guarantee they are in your food and drink right now.
But by all means continue to focus your attention where you are told to.

Quote:
http://democrats.energycommerce.hous...-2011-4-18.pdf

"5. The technical resource potential of the winds above U.S. coastal waters is enough to provide more than 4,000 gigawatts of electricity, or approximately four times the generating capacity of the current U.S. electric power system. Although not all of these resources will be developed, this represents a major opportunity to provide power to highly-populated coastal cities. See what the Energy Department is doing to develop offshore wind in the United States and learn more about the ongoing Offshore Wind Advanced Technology Demonstration projects.

4. The United States generates more wind energy than any other country except China, and wind has accounted for 33 percent of all newly installed U.S. electricity generation capacity over the last seven years.

3. The United States’ wind power capacity reached more than 61 gigawatts by the end of 2013. That’s enough electricity to power nearly 16 million homes annually -- more than the total number of homes in the entire state of California -- and represents nearly a 20-fold increase in capacity since 2000.

2. Wind energy is affordable. Wind prices for power contracts signed in 2013 and levelized wind prices (the price the utility pays to buy power from a wind farm) are as low as 2.5 cents per kilowatt-hour in some areas of the country. This is the lowest ever price recorded by the Energy Department’s annual Wind Technologies Market Report.

1. Wind has the potential to supply the country with abundant amounts of clean, renewable energy, but continued support for favorable clean energy policies, such as the Production Tax Credit, is critical to achieving this target. To set the stage for future growth, the Energy Department is developing a new Wind Vision for the future of wind power research, development and deployment throughout the United States.
"

Top 10 Things You Didn't Know About Wind Power | Department of Energy
You are preaching to the choir, I have already been formally educated in wind power generation you are not going to be able to tell may any thing I am not already intimately aware of.
You can read all the articles and news reports you want and you still wont have scratched the surface on what their true capabilities, limitations and dirty little secrets.
When it comes to wind turbines remember, you read AP articles, I read wind turbine specific technical publications that you cant look up on the internet. You have seen wind turbines, I have been inside them, on top of them and inside wind farm control centers and viewed real time and historical production numbers from wind turbines I have worked on.

Quote:
"Coal generates 44% of our electricity, and is the single biggest air polluter in the U.S.

Air pollution: Burning coal causes smog, soot, acid rain, global warming, and toxic air emissions.
Learn more.

Wastes generated: Ash, sludge, toxic chemicals, and waste heat create more environmental problems.
Learn more.

Fuel supply: Mining, transporting, and storing coal levels mountains and pollutes the land, water, and air.
Learn more.

Water use: Coal plants need billions of gallons of cooling water and harm wildlife.
Learn more."

Coal generates 44% of our electricity, and is the single biggest air polluter in the U.S. | Union of Concerned Scientists
And coal will continue its acidic rein as long as the party of fear, ignorance and fanaticism continue to block alternatives like nuclear that can compete with coals low cost and reliable 24hr 7 day a week consistent 350ish day a year production.

Quote:
That's what we want, 250 more years of poisoning people and the environment.
Only 249 years, 11 months and about 29 days now.

Quote:
Should we go into the wars to protect corporate oil interests around the world? What does that cost in lives, war pollution and monetary expense.
Fracking bans in in the US are the only thing I can think of to ensure another "war for oil" sooner rather than later.

Quote:
"Smog—Who Does It Hurt?
What You Need to Know About Ozone and Your Health"

http://www.epa.gov/airnow/health/smog.pdf

Thanks, I'll take alternates.

Rob
Natural gas creates nitrogen oxides, ozone and smog too.
Alternatives are great as long as they are working.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 12-21-14 at 12:28 PM..
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote