View Single Post
Old 11-12-14, 03:02 AM   #4
Ormston
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I tend to keep my mobile(cell) phone in my pocket at all times, the led light on that helps me locate a torch in the dark.

Our power goes out regularly, in the year we,ve lived here it seems to go out at least once a month. Neighbours tell me it's much better than it used to be!

So far we,ve lost a washing machine and a nas drive.
The washing machine was mid cycle when the power went out, control board died and machine wouldn't cycle after that.
The nas died in another power cut a few weeks later. It would power up but not mount the drives and would crash after a couple of mins. Had to buy some recovery software to read the drives on my PC and retrieve our data.

Since then I,ve added ups's to our PC's, one for my remaining nas drive, router and phone.

Have another ups waiting to be fitted to the lighting circuits for the whole house, with led and cf lighting it only takes a small ups to provide backup for all our lighting.

I started gathering some bits for a backup micro CHP unit but haven,t had time to work on that yet.

Water almost never goes off in the UK, guess if required we do have a borehole we with pump so water would not be a problem.

Steve
Ormston is offline   Reply With Quote