Thread: Will it Work?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-10, 12:03 AM   #1
AirSepTech
Lurking Renovator

Send a message via Yahoo to AirSepTech
Default Will it Work?

An ASHP, ductless/inverter, 18000-24000btu. Mitsu., Sanyo, Fujitsu, or cheap China knockoff. The name brands have better documentation of performance. The cheap ones don't always match their claims. Understandable, their instructions (some) are pretty ???? .
Maybe it's just their conversion, they start with kw and go to btu for the USA, and then seer/eer/hspf/cop, and then mess it up. I don't know. The rest of the world just rates output in kw. kw out/kw in=cop---easy to do.

Elko, Nevada. 7000-8000HDD. I have a LPG castiron stove, 30k, always been enough. However, at $3.10/gal., 80%eff. = $400+ a month. A fill was $875.
I have used 30 gal since Jan. 8, it is cheaper to use electric.

I tried 2 portable ASHP 9k each, one hosers. No good. OK heat output, but pulling a vacuum to do it?? HA HA Got my $850 back from WM and picked up 4 $22 oil filled units. Have used them before elsewhere.

They work fine, 60-63f IAT, 44kwh/d, I would like: Better looks, more heat, less kwh/d, and no frown from the wife, when she visits. Yea, it is alot, its called keeping your job, 2 homes, family, 300mi apart, on a budget.

If I go with a cheapo I'll probably hack it before winter. Some sort of direct contact/earth or solar water assist or earth tube or ?? My basement is open for radient, just don't have the time now. I have 5 acres, 70% complete house I built alone, from dirt up. Full basement, 900sf a floor stacked direct except the MBR.

I think I'm looking at a unit that needs to deliver 12-15k btu as low as 5f, below that I'll need some backup. It gets to -25f and less, but low 20's day and 0's night are more common. It's 22f right now, about 50f high today. Heating (attempting) with ASHP is probably nuts, I've done worse things.

They make some mighty claims with operation down to 15,5,0, did I see below 0 claims??? Will it puke its guts out if a son/wife pokes the start at -5/-10f.

I'll almost never use the A/C, just the heater function.

Will it Work??

Thanks in Advance, feel free to beat on me, I'm used to it

AirSepTech is offline   Reply With Quote