View Single Post
Old 04-03-13, 08:26 PM   #40
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I have had great success with these:
New 12V 7W 50cm SMD 5050 Pure White 36 LED Strip Light Aluminum Alloy Shell | eBay

or, search: HRK 7.5W 5050LED

I originally bought a few to replace failing ccfl assemblies in flat-panel monitors. The assemblies do well, running off the same supply rail the ccfl high-voltage supply previously used to power the backlights. The replacement ccfl assemblies were on the order of half the price of a used monitor or more, the LED assemblies run around $10 a meter. With a lifespan approaching 10x the life of a fluorescent, they should never need replacement again. I can see plainly why the tv manufacturers are switching to LED.

These little buggers are awesome! They put out the same lumens as a 40 Watt incandescent, yet use only 7.5 Watts, and will last for decades. they are water resistant, and can be chopped into shorter sections if needed. Each 3 LED section can run separately off of 12 volts. They are available in lots of shades of white, depending on your needs or taste. Two of these strips laid next to each other at a right angle will give you 180 degrees of coverage at about the same intensity as a T5 fluorescent of the same length. I imagine in a few years you will be buying screw-in LED bulbs for the same price as compact fluorescents.

Last edited by jeff5may; 04-03-13 at 08:32 PM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
Incidental Damage (04-04-13)