View Single Post
Old 02-10-15, 06:24 PM   #26
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I built a hoop-style greenhouse around 15 years ago. 10 x 12 concrete slab, cinder blocks 3 courses high, 2 by whatever fit over top of the cinder blocks, yellawood. Cap board secured with j-hooks set into mortar between blocks every 4 ft or so. I made the hoops out of 1" common pvc pipe and secured them with conduit clamps to the cap board. I framed in a glass storm door on one end and a window and a fan opening on the other. I used 2 of the form boards for pouring the slab for the ridge beam. Total cost was under 400 bucks including the fan and plastic film.

The frame still stands today. The pro-grade stuff lasts me about 5 years (in KY) before it starts getting weak. My dad bought some cheapo greenhouse film from lows or home despot last time, and it's nothing like the pro-grade stuff. 2 years tops. Thing is, it costs the same or more as the good stuff. Availability was the key factor for him, he didn't want to wait for a package to be delivered.

If your climate is like mine, you want to consider some shade cloth or white poly if you plan on growing in the summer. With only clear poly, my greenhouse will hit 120 or more degrees on a sunny summer day without some shady covering, even with the exhaust vent running constantly. It has stagnated over 150 at times while not in use.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote